Vegan cheeses at grocery stores can be expensive. You don’t need a real expensive blender, just soak the nuts (cashews, almonds etc.) before you blend them.
The most expensive part is the actual nuts themselves. Big store groceries like Costco or Walmart have decent deals.
How To Make Vegan Cheese
Most vegan cheese recipes follow similar steps. The main differences can be either soaking or not soaking the nuts. Possibly boiling the nuts beforehand.
As well as different ingredients used to flavor your cheese. This is where you can find different recipes to test out. But overall the process is pretty much universal.
Here is a quick rundown on the basics steps used to make vegan cheeses.
- Soak main ingredient (plant based)
- Drain water.
- Blend main ingredient along with nutritional yeast.
- Wrap up in cheese cloth.
- Place in strainer and let sit in refrigerator overnight.
- Unwrap cheese and serve.
- Soaking nuts, seeds, rice or cereal grains in water overnight.
- Draining and drying out the water
- Placing nuts, seeds, rice or cereal grains in food processor.
- Add nutritional yeast
- Add additional ingredients according to recipe. Example: salt, garlic, spices etc.
- Blend ingredients in food processor to reach a creamy consistency.
- Wrap blended ingredients into a cheese cloth and tie the top.
- Place cheese cloth wrapped cheese inside a strainer, within a bowl.
- Let sit in refrigerator overnight (up to 12 hours).
- Open and remove cheese from cloth.
- Cheese should hold together and be ready to serve.
What You’ll Need
How To Get More Flavor
One issue when making homemade vegan cheese. Is getting the flavor to be similar to dairy cheese. That tangy taste we associate with dairy cheeses.
One way to get your vegan cheese to taste more closely to dairy is to use a lactic acid. It is made from the fermentation of sugar.
Lactic acid can also be a required ingredient in certain vegan cheese recipes, like mozzarella.
I would recommend Druids Grove Lactic Acid which is non-GMO and vegan. You can pick it up on Amazon here.
Lactic acid is also used to make vegan yogurt and sour cream.
Vegan Cheese Videos
Cheese Making Products
Cheese cloth can be found at a dollar store or online for fairly cheap if you shop around. The most expensive part is the actual nuts themselves.
A good way to learn how to make cheese is with a kit. So you will have everything you need along with recipes and a guide.
Lekue Cheese Making Kit
The Lekue cheese making kit can be used to make dairy and vegan cheeses. You can check it out on Amazon here.
If not just enjoy the videos below and you will get a better understanding on how to make vegan cheese.
Nut Milk Bags
The bags are made specifically for nut milks. The nut bag has a thicker weave than cheese clothes. Meaning you don’t have to worry about sediments getting through.
They can be found on Amazon for under $10 here.
This is like a specialized blender, that makes nut milks but can also be used for smoothies. The only thing I don’t like is the price, for $500 dollars you could buy a lot of already made milk and nut butters.
In case you are interested you can check out the Nutramilk website here.
Instead of spending that much you could instead get a Vitamix.