Who doesn’t like a nice thin slice of meat every once in a while? We all know our trusty deli personnel, but what happens if you’re in a pinch and don’t have the time to wait in line, or if you straight up forget? Can you use a mandoline to slice meat?
Mandoline slicers are not very versatile for cutting different types of food such as a deli food slicer can be. The main benefit of a mandoline slicer is the small size and cheaper price compared to a deli slicer. They do however work much better for slicing vegetables and cheeses instead of meats.
You can still use one but you’re most likely not going to get the same results as a deli slicer.
If you plan to give your mandoline a try for slicing meat or plan to buy a new mandolin slicer, then here are the best tips to follow for using a mandolin to slice meat.
1. Using A Mandolin for Slicing Meat Basics
When using a mandoline, you need to be very careful. It is easy to cut yourself. The best way to avoid this is to keep your fingers well out the way of the blade.
Keeping your fingers well away from the blade also helps you keep a controlled hand. If you have a very steady hand, you can keep the blade as close to the food as possible. This will make the cuts very thin. If you don’t have such a steady hand, then you will want to keep the blade further from the food.
When using a mandoline, you also need to be careful not to cut yourself on the mandoline itself. When you are working with a mandoline, you must keep it on the side bench. It is also safer to keep a towel over your mandoline when it is not in use.
2. Advanced Tips for Using a Mandoline with Meat
There are a variety of different cuts on a mandoline, but it is best to have your meat par-frozen. Many mandolines in peoples homes are used for hard foods like vegetables where you use more of a push force. You can cut one type of cut into a small dice, cut another into a medium dice and cut another into a larger dice. Pork belly, for example, can be cut into a small dice to form bacon!
For beef or lamb, you can cut the meat into large dice, medium dice or small dice. The larger the dice, the larger the end result. This is useful if you are planning on making a stew. It is also useful if you want to make your steak into cubes.
You can also use the mandoline to slice your meat. This is useful when you are making a stir-fry. You can cut your meat into thin slices. You can then serve the slices as they are or you can fry them in a wok.
3. Common Mistakes To Avoid
One common mistake that people make when using a mandoline with meat is using too much pressure. The mandoline is designed to slice the meat. It is not designed to cut the meat. This means that you do not need to put too much pressure on the mandoline.
Another common mistake is putting your fingers too close to the blade. It is very easy to do this, especially when you are working with a large piece of meat. You need to keep your fingers away from the blade.
Another mistake is not cleaning the food properly before you start slicing with your mandoline. The mandoline is a very good way to cut your food. However, it is not strong enough to slice through the layer of fat on your food, which a lot of meat has. You need to make sure that the food is clean and free of all fat before you start using a mandoline with it.
4. Buying a Mandoline Slicer: What to consider first…
• The size of the mandoline – The size matters depending on the size of the meat you are working with. If you are working with a large piece of meat, then you need a large mandoline, or you will have to cut down your meat into workable sizes.
• The material the mandoline is made from – When you are buying a mandoline for meat, it is important to choose one that is made from a strong material. This will make the mandoline last longer. You also want a mandoline that is easy to clean.
• The price of the mandoline – The price should not be the main consideration when you are buying a mandoline. However, it is a factor you need to keep in mind. The best mandoline is not always the most expensive one.
• The accessories the mandoline comes with – You should consider the accessories the mandoline comes with. You don’t need all the accessories. However, it is nice to have a mandoline with a couple of spare blades.
• The safety of the mandoline – When you are buying a mandoline for meat, you want to ensure that it is safe to use. A mandoline that is not safe to use can be dangerous.
• A mandoline is a great kitchen tool to have in your arsenal, and you can slice meat with it, however it will most likely not give you the same quality finished product as a professional slicer used in a deli.
Best Mandoline Slicers
If you decided to buy a new mandoline slicer check out the best mandoline slicers on Amazon.