With any of these substitutes I would recommend starting with 1 cup. As most box macaroni and cheese call for one cup of milk. Then you can add more for desired flavor and consistency.
Easiest Mac and Cheese Milk Substitute In a Pinch
Water has to be the easiest substitute for milk in mac and cheese.
I would use the same water used to boil the pasta. Leave approximately 1 cup of water remaining in the pot and drain the rest.
You want the starch from the noodles for a creamier cheese sauce. Since you wont be adding any milk it won’t be too runny.
Dairy Milk Substitutes for Mac and Cheese
You can use heavy cream, half & half, sour cream, cream cheese, plain yogurt, ranch or mayonnaise instead of milk.
- You can use ranch sauce or a ranch mix.
- Use a plain mayonnaise
- Sour Cream
- Leave water in the pot or add extra before stirring.
- Whipping Cream
- Again you can skip on the Butter.
- Cream Cheese
- A little goes a long ways.
- Plain Yogurt
- Don’t Heat Too Quickly and Stir Gradually.
- Powdered Milk
- Condensed Milk is sweeter and slightly thicker than evaporated milk.
- Half & Half
- Because half and half can have more than double the fat content of milk. Consider skipping out on adding in any butter to your mac and cheese.
- Goat Milk
- Try With Goat Cheese!
|Dairy Milk Substitutes||Taste vs Dairy Milk||Consistency vs Dairy Milk|
|Half & Half||Richer||More Creamy|
|Sour Cream||Tangy||More Creamy|
|Whipping Cream||Richer||Extra Creamy|
|Cream Cheese||Sweeter||More Creamy|
|Plain Yogurt||Tangy||More Creamy|
|Water||Less Flavor||Less Creamy|
|Powdered Milk||Sweeter||More Creamy|
Vegan Milk Alternatives for Mac and Cheese
The good news is any non-dairy vegan milk can used to make macaroni and cheese. Be aware each one has a distinct flavor that may be stronger than regular dairy milk.
- Cashew Milk
- Choose unsweetened for less sugar and visa versa.
- Soy Milk
- Use unsweetened unflavored soy milk.
- Almond Milk
- Add more cheese or flour to thicken and make creamier.
- Hemp Seed Milk
- Look out for added sugars.
- Oat Milk
- Use unsweetened oat milk.
- Rice Milk
- May require some extra flour, or other thickeners.
- Coconut Milk
- Use unsweetened
- Macadamia Milk
- Use equal amounts as you would dairy milk.
- Pea Milk
- Add in extra cheese to mask flavor more.
|Vegan Milk Substitutes||Taste vs Dairy Milk||Consistency vs Dairy Milk|
|Cashew Milk||Nutty||More Creamy|
|Soy Milk||Less Sweet||More Creamy|
|Almond Milk||Sweeter||Less Creamy|
|Hemp Seed Milk||Nutty||More Creamy|
|Rice Milk||Similar||Less Creamy|
|Coconut Milk||Coconut||More Flavor|
|Macadamia Nut Milk||Mild||Similar|
|Pea Milk||Bitter||More Creamy|
|Hazelnut Milk||Sweeter, Nutty||Similar|